I believe my assessment is too high. What should I do?

Contact your Township Assessor or contact the Chief County Assessment Office (CCAO) for more information. Depending upon the time of year, it is possible you will need to file an appeal to the Lee County Board of Review. The Board of Review rules provide additional information on the types of evidence required to support your over-assessment argument, such as appeals based upon:

  • Assessment equity
  • Fair cash value
  • Incorrect physical description of the property
  • Matters of law

Show All Answers

1. Are there any exemptions that provide property tax relief?
2. I believe my assessment is too high. What should I do?
3. I would like more information about my property assessment or assessments in my neighborhood. Is this information available?
4. How do I change the mailing address on my tax bill?
5. I have received an assessment notice in the mail. What does this mean to me?
6. How can I get a duplicate copy of my tax bill?
7. What are township equalization factors (sometimes called multipliers) - and how are they determined?