Flood Hazard Regulations

The federal government has required local units of government to adopt regulations which restrict development activities on land designated by federal special flood hazard maps as being subject to 100-year flooding. These are fairly restrictive and allow only limited development activities without variation of the regulations. "Development" by definition, includes any man-made change to real estate. If there is any uncertainty as to whether a property is subject to the Special Flood Hazard Area Ordinance. The applicant must provide certified information as to the elevation of the building site or development area in relation to the 100-year flood plain boundaries. Check with the Zoning Department to ascertain any potential problem with designated flood hazard areas.